This hearty and comforting Ham and White Bean Soup is practically an effortless dinner when prepared in your Instant Pot. No soaking is required for the beans… let your pressure cooker do the work!
The most difficult part of this recipe is the prep work which is all of 10 minutes. Throw the ingredients together in your Instant Pot, give it a stir before cooking and the end result is a savory and cozy soul food soup.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Chicken broth – I use low sodium because the ham has plenty of salt for my taste. Feel free to use regular chicken broth if desired.
- Black pepper
- Dry great northern beans – no soaking is required but you will need to rinse and sort the beans in a colander.
- Yellow onion
- Dried thyme leaves
- Bay leaf – remove and discard before serving.
- Fully cooked ham (cubed or shredded)
How Much Time is Needed to Make This Ham and Bean Soup?
The cook time for an Instant Pot recipe can be a bit deceiving because of the time needed to take the pot to come to pressure. This recipe takes a total of approximately 90 minutes from start to finish. This includes:
- 10 minutes prep time
- 20 minutes for the pot to come to pressure (this time may vary – I used a 6-quart Instant Pot)
- 35 minutes manual (high) pressure
- 25 minutes natural pressure release
How Many People Does This Recipe Serve?
This recipe yields approximately 10 cups of soup, which is 6 servings (a little over 1-1/2 cups) or 5 hearty (2-cup) servings.
While the beans are cooking, you should be baking this amazing skillet cornbread to serve with your soup for a complete meal – absolutely delicious. Enjoy!
More Instant Pot Bean Recipes You’ll LovePrint
No soaking is required for the beans in this delicious soup – An easy and practically effortless dinner prepared in your pressure cooker!
- 1 pound dry great northern beans
- 4 cups cubed or shredded fully cooked ham (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery (about 1 stalk)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse and sort beans in a colander, removing and discarding any debris.
- Place beans and remaining ingredients in the insert of your Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on and lock. Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”.
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 25 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and stir. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
- Cook time includes time needed for (my) pot to come to pressure and natural pressure release time.
- This recipe was tested using a 6-quart Instant Pot
- If your beans aren’t cooked (tender) enough, put the lid back on the pressure cooker. Lock the lid, set steam release knob to “sealing” and cook on manual (high) pressure for an additional 5 to 10 minutes (depending upon how much more tender you think your beans need to be). Manually release pressure.
- Category: Instant Pot
- Method: Pressure Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot ham and bean soup, ham and white bean soup