This hearty and comforting Ham and White Bean Soup is practically an effortless dinner when prepared in your Instant Pot. No soaking is required for the beans… let your pressure cooker do the work!
The most difficult part of this recipe is the prep work which is all of 10 minutes. Throw the ingredients together in your Instant Pot, give it a stir before cooking and the end result is a savory and cozy soul food soup.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Chicken broth – I use low sodium because the ham has plenty of salt for my taste. Feel free to use regular chicken broth if desired.
- Black pepper
- Dry great northern beans – no soaking is required but you will need to rinse and sort the beans in a colander.
- Yellow onion
- Dried thyme leaves
- Bay leaf – remove and discard before serving.
- Fully cooked ham (cubed or shredded)
How Much Time is Needed to Make This Ham and Bean Soup?
The cook time for an Instant Pot recipe can be a bit deceiving because of the time needed to take the pot to come to pressure. This recipe takes a total of approximately 90 minutes from start to finish. This includes:
- 10 minutes prep time
- 20 minutes for the pot to come to pressure (this time may vary – I used a 6-quart Instant Pot)
- 35 minutes manual (high) pressure
- 25 minutes natural pressure release
How Many People Does This Recipe Serve?
This recipe yields approximately 10 cups of soup, which is 6 servings (a little over 1-½ cups) or 5 hearty (2-cup) servings.
While the beans are cooking, you should be baking this amazing skillet cornbread to serve with your soup for a complete meal – absolutely delicious. Enjoy!
More Instant Pot Bean Recipes You’ll LovePrint