When I was recently invited to partner with Horizon Organic to create a recipe using their products, I knew exactly what I was going to make — this comforting and cheesy Creamy Mushroom Cheddar Soup!
Anyone who knows me well (and if you follow the blog, you know it too) knows that I absolutely LOVE mushrooms. I mean LOVE them. With a passion.
But it’s like every time I order anything with mushrooms at a restaurant, they always seem to skimp on them… NO LIE! It actually became a joke at one point last year – I’d order EXTRA mushrooms just to see how many I’d get. Didn’t work up until here recently and I finally got a hearty portion of mushrooms with what I ordered (YAY!).
This soup does NOT skimp on the mushrooms! If you’re a mushroom lover and love them like I do, why have just a few floating around in all of that creamy, cheesy goodness? Don’t think so… not in my kitchen!
If you’re a mushroom fan like me and love creamy, cheesy, comforting soups in the fall and winter, you’re going to absolutely adore this soup.
If you’re cooking for more than 2, I suggest doubling the recipe. This recipe yielded about 3 2/3 cups. When I eat soup I want a BIG bowl, so this was about 2 servings for me.
A cheesy and comforting soup full of mushrooms!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Horizon unsalted butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions (white and light green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Horizon whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups Horizon shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley and garlic croutons, for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and green onions and saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well. Slowly add milk and chicken broth, stirring well to combine.
- Add bay leaf and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes.
- Gradually add cheese and stir until melted. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Top with parsley and croutons, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy mushroom cheddar soup
Adapted from Epicurious.com
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.