This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
When I was recently invited to partner with Horizon Organic to create a recipe using their products, I knew exactly what I was going to make — this ohhhh so comforting and cheesy Creamy Mushroom Cheddar Soup!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Creamy Mushroom Cheddar Soup Recipe
Anyone who knows me well (and if you follow the blog, you know it too) knows that I absolutely LOVE mushrooms. I mean LOVE them. With a passion.
But it’s like every time I order anything with mushrooms at a restaurant, they freakin’ skimp on them… NO LIE! It actually became a joke at one point last year — I’d order EXTRA mushrooms just to see how many I’d get. Didn’t work up until here recently and I finally got a hearty portion of mushrooms with what I ordered (YAY!).
This soup does NOT skimp on the mushrooms! If you’re a mushroom lover and love them like I do, why have just a few floating around in all of that creamy, cheesy goodness? Don’t think so… not in my kitchen!
I’ve been guilty (up until recently) about ordering takeout because I didn’t take the time to properly plan my menu and grocery shopping. I justified not making a meal plan and list because the grocery store is literally 3 minutes down the road from where I live.
So now I plan my menu in advance and typically stick by it. I’ve made those changes and have started eating more wholesome foods — because a healthy lifestyle is important at my age! ~SIGH~
If you’re a mushroom fan like me and love creamy, cheesy, comforting soups in the fall and winter, you’re going to absolutely adore this soup. By the way, if you’re cooking for more than 2, I suggest doubling the recipe. This recipe yielded about 3-2/3 cups. When I eat soup I want a BIG bowl, so this was about 2 servings for me.Print
- 1 (16-ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2–1/2 tablespoons Horizon unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions (white and light green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Horizon whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1–1/2 cups packed Horizon shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley and garlic croutons, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and green onions and saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well. Slowly add milk and chicken broth, stirring well to combine.
- Add bay leaf and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes.
- Gradually add cheese and stir until melted. Top with parsley and croutons.
Adapted from Epicurious.com
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.