This cozy and comforting chicken noodle soup is on the table in just 30 minutes. Wide egg noodles in a delicious seasoned broth with tender chicken, carrots, celery and onion is an easy comfort food meal everyone will love!
Utilizing the convenience of a store-bought rotisserie (or leftover) chicken speeds up the process in this soup. It’s a family favorite meal that’s enjoyed year-round!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s no-fuss, quick and delicious. It uses simple ingredients that you’re most likely to already have on-hand.
How to Make It
It’s as simple as cooking carrots, onion, celery and garlic in butter melted in a dutch oven (or large soup pot) for a few minutes, then add chicken broth, water, cream of chicken soup, herbs, seasonings and cooked chicken. Bring to a boil and add wide egg noodles. Cook at a gentle boil until egg noodles and vegetables are tender.
How Much Soup Does This Make?
This recipe yields approximately 10 cups of soup.
If you don’t have cooked chicken readily available, be sure to check out my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup that uses split chicken breasts and is ready in just 40 minutes.
This cozy and comforting chicken noodle soup is on the table in just 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 ribs of celery)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 7 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups shredded or cubed fully cooked chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cups wide egg noodles (approximately 5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a 6 quart dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat. Add carrots, onion and celery. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add chicken broth, water, cream of chicken soup, dill, rosemary, salt, pepper, cooked chicken and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add noodles and stir to combine. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle boil (medium high to medium). Boil gently for 8 minutes (stirring occasionally), or until noodles and vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy homemade chicken noodle soup
Originally published October 2015. Updated with new photographs, recipe revised and republished on April 4, 2020.