Today I’m sharing one of my very favorite soups but a healthier, low-sodium version… Slow Cooker Vegetable Minestrone!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I enjoy soup year-round and this is the perfect warm weather soup. I was so excited to receive a copy of Shannon Epstein’s newest cookbook recently… it’s chock full of delicious, low-sodium slow cooker recipes.
While reading all of the recipes, this vegetable minestrone caught my eye because I have just recently planted my summer garden and have fresh summer veggies on my mind!
Shannon’s second cookbook, Low Sodium Slow Cooker Cookbook, is full of heart-healthy, low-sodium, flavor-packed slow cooker recipes. I have to admit that I am a lover of salt but never missed it at ALL in this recipe.
Any leftovers you might have are even better the next day!
You can find Shannon over at Fit Slow Cooker Queen for easy and healthy slow cooker recipes.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Minestrone
- Total Time: 6 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In your slow cooker, combine the diced and crushed tomatoes with their juices, broth, kidney and great northern beans, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, green beans, zucchini, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, cumin and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add the pasta and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Recipe from The Low Sodium Slow Cooker Cookbook
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Category: Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegetable minestrone, crock pot vegetable minestrone
You mention carrots in the recipe, but I don’t see them mentioned in your list of ingredients. Omit or add them? Thanks.
Amy @ The Blond Cook
Hi Rosie, Thanks so much for catching that and I apologize for the inconvenience. I just updated the recipe… it’s 3 carrots, finely chopped. I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Valerie | Valerie's Kitchen
This is gorgeous! I love minestrone so much but it’s awful how much sodium is in the canned variety. This one is going on my list!
Amy @ The Blond Cook
Thanks so much, Valerie… hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 🙂