A lower fat version of traditional Broccoli Cheddar Soup… you’ll never miss the fat!
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen baby broccoli florets
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1–1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2–1/2 cups low-fat 1% milk
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Place frozen broccoli florets and carrots in large pot, cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain vegetables in a colander and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- SLOWLY add in flour, about a tablespoon at a time, while stirring with a whisk constantly.
- Once all of the flour is added and there is a nice paste formed, slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Add milk slowly, continuing to stir.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture reaches a boil, slowly add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli and carrots, salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.