Skip the store-bought mix and make your own Bloody Mary from scratch with simple, everyday ingredients. Brunch just isn’t complete without this classic cocktail!
You probably already have most of the ingredients on-hand to make your own homemade version. Customize it to your personal taste by experimenting with different amounts of the ingredients (I won’t be offended!).
Your Basic Ingredients
- Vodka (your favorite kind)
- Tomato juice
- Hot pepper sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper (freshly ground is best)
- Prepared horseradish
- Lemon juice
- Lime juice
Bloody Mary Topping Ideas
The sky’s the limit when it comes to the toppings (and it’s so much fun to dress this drink up with them). You can make this a full-on meal in a glass if you want!
Here are a few topping ideas I’ve used and seen:
- Celery sticks
- Lemon and/or lime wheels
- Pickled okra
- Pickled asparagus
- Cheese cubes
- Cocktail shrimp
- Pepperoncini peppers
There are also so many options for rimming your glass (isn’t this fun?!). I like to use Old Bay Seasoning, but you can also use one (or a mixture of) the following:
- Celery salt
- Smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Lemon pepper
Enjoy and please drink responsibly. Cheers!
- Old Bay Seasoning or seasoning of your choice for rimming glass
- Lemon or lime wedge for rimming glass
- 2 ounces vodka your favorite
- 8 ounces tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Dash Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes of your choice
- Sprinkle Old Bay Seasoning on a small plate. Rub lemon or lime wedge around rim of glass to moisten.
- Dip rim of glass into seasoning to coat evenly. Fill glass with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker about ½ full of ice. Add vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, lime juice, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish and pepper.
- Cover shaker and shake vigorously for about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Strain into rimmed glass with ice. Garnish with desired toppings.
- I enjoy this recipe as written, but feel free to customize to your personal taste by experimenting with different amounts of ingredients!
- Nutrition info does not include seasoning for rimming glass or toppings.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published August 2012. Updated with new photographs, recipe revised and republished January 31, 2020.