This creamy, light and refreshing German Cucumber Salad (aka Gurkensalat) is an easy side dish that is perfect for just about any main course. Crisp, thinly sliced cucumbers and onions in a simple sour cream and dill dressing is a salad I’ve been enjoying for years!
I’ve so much been craving delicious cucumber salads with the arrival of Spring (YES!). This is one of my favorites because it’s easy to prepare, budget-friendly and uses mostly simple ingredients that you most likely already have on-hand.
- Cucumber – I like to use an English cucumber because the seeds are smaller and the skin is thinner. I choose not to peel the cucumber, but feel free to peel it if you desire.
- Onion – I use red onion, but yellow or white onion can also be used.
- Sour cream – I use full fat sour cream, but low fat can also be used. Sour cream can be substituted with plain yogurt, if desired.
- Dill – I love the vibrant flavor of using a lot of fresh dill in the dressing (I use 2 tablespoons). Feel free to adjust the amount of dill to your personal preference.
- Salt and black pepper – adjust the amount(s) to your personal preference.
- Prepared mustard – adds a slight tangy flavor to the dressing. I use yellow mustard, but feel free to use Dijon (or even completely omit the mustard if you want).
- Vinegar – I use white vinegar which can also be substituted with apple cider vinegar.
How to Make it
This couldn’t be easier to prepare!
- Whisk or stir together sour cream, mustard, vinegar, milk, salt, pepper and dill in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add cucumbers and onions. Gently stir or toss to combine and coat as evenly as possible. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
This recipe is easily customizable to your personal taste. Feel free to adjust the amount(s) of salt, pepper, and dill to your liking.
Storing in the Fridge
I like to let this rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour before serving. If it sits any longer, the cucumbers release liquid and the dressing becomes watery (and the cucumbers get soggy). This is best when served no longer than after a few hours in the fridge.
More Refreshing Cucumber Salads
German Cucumber Salad
- ⅓ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard or Dijon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt more or less, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill more or less, to taste
- 1 large English cucumber washed and thinly sliced (about 2 ½ cups sliced)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion or yellow or white onion
- Whisk or stir together sour cream (or yogurt), mustard, vinegar, milk, salt, pepper and dill in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add sliced cucumbers and onions and gently stir or toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
- This recipe is best when served no longer than after 3 hours of refrigerating.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published March 2017. Updated with new photos, new text, new video and recipe slightly revised March 2022.