- 5 slices thick cut bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (20-ounce) package hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1–1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1/2 of a jumbo onion)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 1–1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into about 1-inch pieces (or unpeeled by cleaning, rinsing and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups tightly packed chopped kale with large stems removed
- Freshly grated Parmesan for topping, if desired
- Fry bacon and sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat until cooked and sausage is browned (about 7-8 minutes), crumbling sausage as it cooks. Add onion and garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Drain off grease. Transfer mixture to slow cooker insert (I used a 6-quart slow cooker). Add chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Add heavy cream and kale and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: crockpot zuppa toscana, slow cooker zuppa toscana, crock pot zuppa toscana recipe, crock pot zuppa toscana soup