A hearty and comforting soup full of corned beef and sauerkraut.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound deli corned beef slices, sliced into about 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can sauerkraut, very well drained
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a dutch oven or soup pot. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour. Add the chicken broth, corned beef and sauerkraut and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sour cream, chives and 1/2 cup of the shredded Swiss cheese. Stir well to combine and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with remaining Swiss cheese and serve with toasted rye bread or rye croutons.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: creamy reuben soup