This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
By utilizing deli or leftover corned beef, this Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is on the table in less than an hour. It’s everything you love about corned beef and cabbage, but in a hearty and filling soup!
Just 10 minutes prep time is all that’s required (and it reheats beautifully). It’s a complete meal in one pot!
This soup can be enjoyed any time of the year, not just St. Patrick’s Day. It’s so easy to prepare (and so delicious!), I enjoy it year-round.
How Many Servings is this Recipe?
This recipe yields approximately 11 cups of soup, which is 6 servings that are a little under 2 cups each.
Your Simple Ingredients
- Fully cooked corned beef (shredded or cubed) – leftover that you’ve cooked or from your grocery store’s deli
- Yellow onion
- Red potatoes
- Caraway seeds
- Beef broth – chicken broth can be substituted
- Olive oil
- Bay leaves
- Black pepper
I use low sodium beef broth and do not use salt in this recipe because the corned beef is salty enough for my taste. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal preference.
Are Caraway Seeds Required in this Recipe?
They’re not required, but add a delicious flavor to this soup (and they smell heavenly too!). Caraway seeds add a mild licorice flavor and they smell similar to star anise.
More Recipes with Corned BeefPrint
Everything you love about corned beef and cabbage, but in a hearty and satisfying soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (more or less, to taste)
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth*
- 3 cups fully cooked shredded or cubed corned beef
- 4 cups chopped cabbage (about 1-inch pieces – approximately 1/2 of a small head)
- 2 cups red potatoes that have been cut into bite size pieces (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a 6-quart dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Add garlic and caraway seeds and cook until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently (about 30 seconds).
- Add broth, corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, bay leaves and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer (low or medium low). Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cabbage, potatoes and carrots are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- *Chicken broth can be substituted for beef broth
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: leftover corned beef and cabbage soup, corned beef and cabbage soup