This cheesy potato side dish with asparagus and bacon pieces is amazingly delicious!
Now, I’ve made potato casseroles similar to this, but not with the ranch dip mix that these “crack potatoes” call for…so of course I had to try it! I found this recipe on a fellow ZipList partner’s blog, PlainChicken.com, & added a little extra stuff to it.
I had some pretty asparagus spears in the refrigerator that I added to it, along with a little chopped onion.
Be sure to cut about one inch off the bottom of the spears – that part is tough and doesn’t taste good! I cut the rest into about one inch pieces.
Mix shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, ranch dip mix, bacon bits, asparagus pieces and onions in a big bowl, using a large spoon. Add a bag of frozen shredded hash browns last and stir until blended well.
The recipe I went by called for 2 packets of ranch dip mix. I am a salt LOVER and thought it was way too salty, but still really good (so I ate a LOT!). So, I am adjusting this recipe to use 1 packet of ranch dip mix instead. Who knows, maybe my taste buds are changing as I’m growing older.
I love to bake anything I can using my cast iron pan, so I pressed the mixture into my 9 inch cast iron skillet. It took exactly an hour for my potatoes to cook, but the original recipe stated 45 minutes to 1 hour… so I would definitely check them after 40 or 45 minutes just to be safe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 (16 ounce) containers sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) packet ranch dip mix
- 2 (2.8 ounce) packages recipe bacon pieces or bits
- 1 (30 ounce) package frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh asparagus pieces (about 1 inch pieces)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except frozen shredded hash browns using a large spoon.
- Add hash browns last and stir well to combine.
- Place in a greased 9 inch cast iron skillet or greased 9×13 baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until potatoes are cooked and asparagus is tender.
Recipe slightly adapted from PlainChicken.com
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crack potatoes with asparagus