This delicious Christmas Crack (aka saltine cracker toffee) is the easiest, most amazing holiday treat using a handful of simple, everyday ingredients. This candy is quick, easy and seriously addictive… it’s hard to stop at just one piece!
One of my favorite things during the holidays is enjoying the sweet treats (besides… who’s counting calories now, anyway?!). From chocolate peanut butter balls to hard cinnamon candy to gingersnap cookies, I love ALL the treats, and this one is always a hit.
What I love about Christmas crack is that it’s so easy to prepare and the flavor combinations are endless when it comes to the toppings. It’s also delicious without any toppings at all, but it’s so much fun to add festive sprinkles and candy.
Your basic ingredients needed are saltine crackers, chocolate chips, butter and brown sugar. Toppings are totally optional, but add such a festive spin on this candy. I used red and green chocolate candies and sprinkles in this batch.
Here are a few of the toppings I’ve used in this recipe – feel free to mix and match your personal favorites!
- chocolate candies (m&m candies)
- chopped pretzels
- chopped nuts
- chocolate toffee bits
How to Make Christmas Crack
- Line a rimmed 15 x 10 baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Arrange the crackers side-by-side in a single layer.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Once it reaches a boil, boil for three minutes (stirring constantly).
- Carefully pour the toffee mixture over the crackers and spread as evenly as possible. Bake for five minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Return to oven and bake an additional two to three minutes (until chocolate is melted).
- Spread the melted chocolate chips over the toffee as evenly as possible.
- Top with your favorite toppings and refrigerate until firm.
- This recipe moves fast – have your ingredients measured and your utensils ready to spread the toffee mixture and chocolate. I normally use a silicone spatula for spreading the toffee and a 9 inch angled spatula for spreading the chocolate, but using the back of a large spoon works well, too.
- Once the butter and brown sugar mixture reaches a boil, boil for exactly three minutes (while stirring) – have your timer ready to set!
Watch the video below to see just how easy it is to make. Enjoy, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Easy Christmas Crack
- 35 saltine crackers almost 1 sleeve
- 1 cup butter unsalted, 2 sticks
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Toppings optional (chocolate candies, sprinkles, chopped nuts, chocolate toffee bits)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 15 x 10 x 1 baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange crackers (salt side up) side-by-side in a single layer in prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once mixture reaches a boil, boil for 3 minutes while continuing to stir constantly (set your timer!).
- Carefully pour the mixture as evenly as possible over the crackers. Spread as evenly as possible.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over toffee as evenly as possible.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until chocolate is melted.
- Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Refrigerate for approximately 1 ½ to 2 hours to allow to harden.
- Once hardened, break or cut into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Dark or light brown sugar can be used.
- Semisweet or milk chocolate chips can be used.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published December 2013. Updated with new photos, new text, recipe revised and republished December 2020.