- 2 tablespoons butter
- Approximately 7 1/2 cups thinly sliced summer squash (6–7 medium squash)
- 2 cups chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve round buttery crackers, crushed (Ritz)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute onions and squash until tender, stirring frequently (about 10-12 minutes).
- Drain squash and onions in a colander. Press with a large spoon or back of spatula.
- Transfer squash and onions to a large bowl. Add cheeses, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Place squash mixture into greased casserole dish and spread evenly. Top with crumbled buttery crackers.
- Bake (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown and edges of casserole are bubbly.
Slightly adapted from Paula Deen
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: squash casserole, cheesy squash casserole