My dog Chance’s teeth have been bothering him and he has to have dental surgery next week… so I made him these Cheddar Garlic Dog Biscuits that he absolutely LOVES!
Disclosure: I recommend you consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog any type of homemade treats or food.
I noticed that his jaws quiver when he is yawning or chewing on crunchy food (that was my sign that something was wrong). So I made him these tender biscuits to enjoy as a treat.
I started with a recipe in my Three Dog Bakery Cookbook. Of course I didn’t have all of the ingredients the recipe called for, so I adapted it to make it work. Chance gave it a “high five” (or four?). 🙂
It all starts with making the dough in a large bowl… then rolling little golf ball sized dough balls and placing them on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until lightly golden browned on top. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Your dog will thank you! Here is chance chilling in grass… he always finds a warm spot to bask in the sunlight. Now that he is super-spoiled, I’ll definitely be making these dog treats again soon!Print
NOTE: It has come to my attention that there is debate regarding if garlic is safe for dogs. I have read that in minute amounts, garlic is not toxic for dogs. I have fed my dog very small amounts of garlic without issues. However, I am NOT a veterinary professional and recommend you consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog any type of homemade treats or food.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease baking sheet or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cheese, sour cream and parsley.
- Add water and olive oil and form dough.
- Roll golf ball sized balls from dough and place on greased baking sheet. Press on the tops of the dough balls with the back of a spoon to lightly flatten.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until biscuits are a light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Adapted from Three Dog Bakery Cookbook
- Category: Dog Treats
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheddar garlic dog biscuits, homemade dog biscuits