Treat your furry friend to these incredibly easy homemade dog biscuits. This recipe uses basic, simple ingredients and can be easily adapted to include delicious add-ins!
This is such a fun little baking project that your kids will enjoy, too! For the basic recipe, all you’ll need are three simple ingredients: all-purpose flour, eggs and water. That’s it!
How to Make Simple Dog Biscuits
- Form the dough in a large bowl.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick on a surface dusted with flour.
- Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. I love these cute bone-shaped cookie cutters.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Get creative and add some deliciousness your dog will love you for! The photo above is the basic version of this recipe. The other photos that include colored dog biscuits were made with add-ins.
- Mashed cooked sweet potato
- Canned pure pumpkin puree
- Mashed banana
- Peanut butter
- Broth – swap out the water for beef or chicken broth
About the Texture of These Dog Treats
These are not the type of hard treats that “snap” when you break them in half. They’re a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
How to Store
Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Please consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog any type of homemade dog treats or food. I hope your pups enjoy these treats as much as mine have over the years. Happy baking!
Simple Dog Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour and additional flour for dusting surface
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ⅓ to ½ cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, eggs and water in a large bowl, forming a stiff dough with your hands. Add more water if necessary.
- Dust surface with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough about ¼ inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut into shapes (or use a pizza cutter wheel or knife to cut into small strips).
- Place onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- This recipe yields approximately 35 (3 inch) bone shaped dog biscuits.
- Please consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog any type of homemade dog food or treats.
- Add-Ins: Add 2 tablespoons of one the following, if desired. Start with 1/3 cup of water when using add-ins and add more water if necessary to form a stiff dough.
- mashed banana
- pure pumpkin puree
- mashed sweet potato
- peanut butter *** make sure it does not contain xylitol
- Water can be substituted with beef or chicken broth.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published May 2012. Updated with new photographs and new text October 2020.