I seem to come down with a horrific sinus infection every year when pollen season hits, and it is in full force right now here on the coast of NC. Homemade soup is so comforting to me, especially when I’m under the weather. I don’t want to spend an eternity in the kitchen while feeling bad (who does?), so I made this 30-Minute Hamburger Minestrone Soup and was able to enjoy a hearty homemade soup without a lot of hassle.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
This recipe uses a package of frozen mixed vegetables. I always try to keep a few packs in my freezer (thank goodness!). I did NOT feel like doing a lot of peeling, slicing and chopping so this soup was the perfect homemade comfort food.
All there is to this recipe is browning some ground beef with onions and throwing everything in a pot to simmer. DONE. This makes a huge pot and filled up my dutch oven well over 2/3 full!
I so much enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen, but it was SO NICE to smell a big pot of homemade soup simmering without having to put a lot of effort into it. The leftovers are even better!
Disclosure: There are Amazon affiliate links included in this post.
- 1 cup uncooked small elbow macaroni (or other small shell pasta)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (32-ounce) carton beef broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (16-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, cook beef and onions in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until beef is browned and no longer pink. Crumble beef while cooking with a wooden spoon or spatula. Drain off grease in a colander and return to dutch oven or saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain cooked pasta and add to soup. Stir well to combine and cook until heated through. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.