My love for mushrooms began about age 7. My Mom took me to a restaurant in our local mall (the “closest” mall) that served a warm bowl of marinated button mushrooms; they were always my favorite. I ordered them every time we dined there. A co-worker turned me on to this recipe from Food Network featuring Rachael Ray’s “Grilled Mushroom Salad Subs”. I have adapted it slightly & we enjoy it regularly. The portabella mushrooms taste so “meaty”, you won’t feel deprived.
- (1) 12 oz baguette
- 2 packages (6 oz each) sliced portabella mushrooms
- 4-5 cups (about 2/3 of a 6 oz package) spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of your favorite shredded cheese (I have used chipotle gouda, Mozzarella, provolone, sharp cheddar & Parmesan.....they're all good!)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the baguette evenly into 4 slices
- Slice vertically across the top of each baguette, & slightly "hollow" it, pulling out some of the bread inside.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and olive oil.
- Place mushrooms & red onion slices in a shallow baking dish & pour marinade over; stir/toss to coat well.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper; set aside to marinate.
- In a skillet/saute pan over medium high heat, transfer the mushroom & onions to pan.
- Keep dish with remaining marinade; you will transfer the mushrooms & red onions back to it once they're cooked.
- Cook approximately 6 minutes, stirring constantly, or until mushrooms are tender.
- Now would be a good time to place your baguettes in the oven & heat for approximately 5 minutes while you're performing the next steps.
- Place cooked mushrooms & red onions back in marinade dish & slice the mushrooms into small pieces; about the size of a nickel or quarter.
- Slowly add spinach & parsley, stirring. The spinach will wilt down a little as you go.
- Remove baguettes from oven & stuff with the mushroom & spinach mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
Slightly adapted from Food Network, Courtesy of Rachael Ray