This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Hey there, fellow soup lovers! Today I’m sharing one of my favorite vegetarian soup recipes: Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Soup.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Full of black beans, tomatoes, corn, onions and jalapeños… you just can’t go wrong with this hearty soup. And the best part??? This soup comes together in just 30 minutes. 🙂
What a crazy week already! Here on the coast of North Carolina, we’re gearing up for dreaded Hurricane Irma… she’s a BEAST! Growing up on the coast, I’m used to hurricanes and we normally just ride them out. It’s one of the prices we pay for living in such a beautiful place. But I’m scared of Irma.
We’ve gotten all of our supplies, my car is full of gas and we have plenty of food. I made sure to buy extra dog food for Baby, too. You just can’t be too prepared!
So in the meantime, I’ve been eating on this comforting soup while gearing up (the leftovers are even better the next day!).
If you’re in Irma’s path, I’m wishing you comfort and safety for you and your loved ones.Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes and juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (more or less, to taste)
- Optional: fresh chopped cilantro and sour cream, for topping
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, corn, vegetable stock, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro and/or sour cream, if desired.
Adapted from Food and Wine