Perfect as an appetizer, side dish or lunch… these easy Zucchini Fritters are a must-make this zucchini season!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This is a recipe I’ve enjoyed over the years to use fresh summer zucchini in a fritter (because I love just about any kind of fritter!). I’ve changed the seasonings a little and am updating the recipe and photographs.
Each zucchini is easily shredded using a simple cheese grater. It’s important that the excess moisture is removed from the shredded zucchini before mixing with the other ingredients (easy instructions on how to do this are in the recipe below!).
These fritters are absolutely delicious eaten as-is, but I like to add a little sour cream and sliced green onions while serving over a bed of mixed greens. They’re best when served immediately to preserve the crispy outside texture… enjoy!
Originally published May 21, 2012 and updated April 24, 2017.Print
- 2 zucchini, washed and shredded (about 3-1/2 cups shredded)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup sliced)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: Mixed greens, sour cream and extra sliced green onions, for garnish
- Using a cheese grater, shred zucchini. Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss to combine salt with shredded zucchini. Allow to drain moisture for approximately 15 minutes. Using the back of a spatula, press on shredded zucchini to drain moisture, then squeeze with paper towels to remove any additional excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg. Slowly add flour, stirring with a large spoon. Add shredded zucchini, Parmesan cheese, green onions, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over moderately high heat.
- Place mixture by heaping tablespoons full into skillet. Press with the back of a spatula to flatten. Fry for approximately 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat for second batch and add more oil if necessary.
- Optional: Serve over a bed of lettuce with sour cream and additional sliced green onions.
Adapted from SimplyRecipes.com