While browsing through Facebook on a lazy Sunday morning, I recently came across a mouth-watering recipe for Vegetable Tian.
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
The term tian simply refers to a dish of thinly sliced vegetables that have been cooked in olive oil and baked au gratin.
One of my very best friends recently gave me a few squash fresh from the garden. Another awesome friend gave me tomatoes (I obviously have great friends!). All I really had to get to make this dish was zucchini, Italian cheese and an onion. The remaining ingredients I already had on-hand.
It all starts with sautéing sweet onions with minced garlic in olive oil. Evenly distribute the onion and garlic mixture in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Arrange thinly sliced tomatoes, squash, potatoes and zucchini over the onion mixture.
Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove aluminum foil, sprinkle with an Italian cheese blend and re-bake (uncovered) until the cheese browns, about an additional 15 minutes.
This is an excellent and healthy way to use your fresh garden vegetables. I always like to give credit where it is due… this recipe was “shared” by one of my friends and came from a closed group on Facebook called Healthy Choices. I also found the same recipe on Just a Pinch. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.Print
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–1/2 cups diced sweet onion
- 1–1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 medium baking potato, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil in a skillet.
- Spread the onion and garlic mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Evenly arrange the vegetable slices vertically in the casserole dish, alternating vegetables. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil. Sprinkle with Italian cheese blend. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes (uncovered), or until cheese is browned.