This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I’ve been craving comfort food but have not been eating the healthiest here lately… so recently I added a healthier twist on traditional sloppy joes with these Turkey Sloppy Joes.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe!
These sloppy joes are so hearty you’ll never miss the beef. I’ve never made homemade sloppy joe sauce until now so I did what I normally do… I played around with the ingredients until I got it like I wanted it. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal preference. Oh, and did I mention these sloppy joes are ready in 20 minutes??? YES!
Brian gave me a big so I was happy about this recipe (he ate TWO!).
If anyone is wondering why I haven’t been posting recipes as much as usual in the past few weeks, I lost one of my very dearest friends to a long battle with cancer this week on Jan. 31st. I haven’t felt like doing a whole lot of cooking and have been ordering lots of takeout (thank goodness for takeout!).
Rhonda’s favorite food was just about any kind of SEAFOOD, so I’m thinking about doing a few new seafood recipes this month in memory of what she loved to eat most when we dined out. Dining out was one of our favorite things to do together!
I hope you enjoy these healthier Turkey Sloppy Joes as much as we did!Print
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1–1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add ground turkey, onion and bell pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until turkey is browned, crumbling turkey with as wooden spoon while it’s cooking.
- Add tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir well to combine. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for approximately 5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve on buns.