Today I’m bringing back an old recipe that I’ve enjoyed for years: Turkey Sausage Spaghetti.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This is by far one of the healthiest spaghetti recipes I’ve ever made! I was craving Italian last night and remembered this recipe I posted in the first month of starting the blog. My awesome healthy-eating friend (her name is Amy, too!) told me about it and I’ve always loved it.
Besides… this recipe was in desperate need of new photographs! Mercy!
This spaghetti is so hearty, perfectly seasoned and chock full of Italian turkey sausage, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and spinach. I used half of a 5-ounce bag of spinach in this recipe (2-1/2 cups), but if your grocery store has a salad bar you can buy just enough spinach for the recipe. (I’ll eat my leftover spinach later in a salad!)
And did I mention that it comes together in just 30 minutes if you have your pasta going while making the sauce?! Even better!
This is no doubt a healthier compromise if you’re a spaghetti lover like me. Enjoy!
Originally published January 11, 2012 and updated March 5, 2017.Print
- 8 ounces whole grain spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian style turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1–1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (24-ounce) jar traditional spaghetti sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms (drained weight), drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2.5 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves (about 2-1/2 cups, tightly packed)
- Optional: Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Begin cooking pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add turkey sausage and onions and cook, crumbling turkey sausage as it cooks, for 5 minutes (stirring constantly). Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach and stir well to combine. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until spinach has just wilted.
- Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.