This Air Fryer Boneless Turkey Breast is a hassle-free way of enjoying holiday turkey without all the fuss. Air frying a turkey breast achieves perfectly crispy skin on the outside with moist, juicy, and tender meat on the inside. Thanksgiving turkey has never been easier!
This recipe is based on my popular Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Breast with several rave reviews. Preparing a boneless turkey breast in the air fryer is just as delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for small gatherings: This recipe is ideal for small holiday get-togethers. Roasting a whole turkey can be overkill for a few guests, but a turkey breast is perfect for a small group.
- Saves time and effort: Air frying a turkey breast is much quicker and easier than roasting a whole turkey in the oven.
- It’s customizable: This recipe is very adaptable to suit your taste.
- Easy cleanup and convenience: Cleanup is a breeze, and using your air fryer frees up oven space for delicious holiday side dishes!
- Turkey breast – I use a 3-pound Butterball boneless turkey breast.
- Dried herbs and spices: A robust blend of rubbed sage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- Olive oil helps the herbs adhere to the skin, helps to crisp the skin, and helps to lock in moisture during cooking.
How to Air Fry a Turkey Breast
For the detailed instructions, please see the recipe card.
- Pat the turkey breast dry with paper towels.
- Season: Rub with olive oil, then rub the herb and spice mixture as evenly as possible over the breast.
- Place the breast skin-side-down in the basket of your preheated air fryer. Air fry for 20 minutes.
- Carefully flip the breast over and cook for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached in the thickest part of the breast.
- Rest: Transfer the breast to a cutting board and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully remove the netting after the turkey has rested.
- Room temperature meat: Allow your turkey breast to sit at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes. This helps to cook the meat more evenly.
- Pat the turkey dry: Do not skip this step! Removing the excess moisture helps to achieve a crispier skin.
- Preheat: Always preheat your air fryer for the best results.
- Rest before slicing: Resting for 10 to 15 minutes (loosely covered in aluminum foil) allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it juicier and more flavorful.
- Checking temperature: Using an instant read thermometer is the best way to check the internal temperature of your turkey. The USDA recommends a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast.
- Check the temperature early: You can always cook the turkey longer, but you can’t go back once it is overcooked.
- Adjust cooking time for size: If your breast is smaller or larger than 3 pounds, the cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- Do not remove the netting before cooking. The netting helps to hold the shape of the breast and ensures even cooking.
Thawing a 3-pound boneless turkey breast in the refrigerator typically takes approximately 18 hours.
I used a 5.8 quart air fryer in this recipe. You’ll need an air fryer large enough to accommodate your turkey breast without overcrowding.
Preheating your air fryer is essential in this recipe because it helps to cook the turkey more evenly.
- Use melted butter instead of olive oil for a richer flavor.
- Different herbs: Feel free to use your favorite dried herbs or use Italian seasoning for an Italian twist!
- Add some heat and spice by adding cayenne pepper or smoked paprika.
Air Fryer Boneless Turkey Breast
- 1 (3 pound) boneless turkey breast safely thawed
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- Remove the turkey breast from your refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes before prepping.
- While the turkey breast is reaching room temp, stir together the sage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, and oregano in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the packaging from the breast and pat dry with paper towels (do NOT remove the netting).
- Begin preheating your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- While the air fryer is preheating, rub the olive oil over the turkey breast to coat as evenly as possible, then rub the herb and spice mixture evenly over the breast.
- Place the turkey breast skin-side-down in your air fryer basket. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Carefully flip the breast over and cook for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached in the thickest part of the breast using an instant-read thermometer.*
- Remove the breast from the air fryer basket and place on a cutting board. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the netting and slice across the grain.
- *I remove my turkey breast at around 158 degrees F and recheck the temp after resting- the temperature will continue to rise while resting.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the type of air fryer used and the shape of the turkey breast. Check the temperature early to avoid overcooking.
- Prep time includes the time for the turkey to reach room temperature (30 minutes).
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.