This Sweet Potato Soufflé with a crunchy coconut and pecan streusel topping is an easy and delicious Thanksgiving side dish or dessert.
This casserole is a staple at our Thanksgiving table. It has a rich and creamy sweet potato base and a sweet and crunchy pecan and coconut topping. Although there are rarely any leftovers, the leftovers reheat beautifully!
How to Reheat Sweet Potato Soufflé
Bring to room temperature and cover baking dish with aluminum foil (so that topping doesn’t over-brown or burn). Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Can This Soufflé Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, the sweet potato base can be made ahead of time. Prepare the base the day before, cover and refrigerate. Bring the baking dish with the sweet potato base to room temperature before baking.
Prepare the topping while the base is baking and add the topping as the instructions state (after the base has baked for 35 minutes). Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love
Sweet Potato Soufflé
For the sweet potato base
- 3 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked or shredded sweetened coconut
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1 ½ quart baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together sweet potatoes, sugar, salt and nutmeg with a large spoon. Add eggs and stir well to combine. Add melted butter (2 tablespoons), milk and vanilla, stirring well to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish, spread evenly and bake for 35 minutes.
- Prepare the topping while the soufflé is baking. Stir together light brown sugar, flour, pecans and coconut in a large bowl. Drizzle with melted butter and stir well to combine.
- Remove soufflé from oven after 35 minutes and top evenly with topping. Return to oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- To reheat, bring to room temperature and cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- To make ahead, prepare the sweet potato base the day before, cover and refrigerate. Bring the baking dish with the base to room temperature before baking. Prepare topping while base is baking and add the topping as instructions state (after base has baked for 35 minutes). Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published September 28, 2014. Updated with new photographs, recipe revised and republished November 14, 2019.