This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This easy and flavorful Shrimp Cheese Ball is always a crowd-pleasing appetizer. It can easily be made ahead of time, too!
My mama has been making this cheese ball for as long as I can remember. It’s always the first appetizer that goes on my plate at our annual Christmas eve dinner… I look forward to it every year!
Prepare as instructed (do not coat with chopped pecans). Store in an airtight container (or cover in plastic wrap, then place in a resealable plastic bag) in the fridge for up to 3 days. Coat with chopped pecans about 10 minutes before serving.
Can I Use Precooked Shrimp in this Recipe?
I prefer to cook my own shrimp, but precooked shrimp can be used. You will need approximately 2-1/4 cups chopped cooked shrimp.
More Shrimp Appetizers You’ll Love
This easy and flavorful Shrimp Cheese Ball is always a crowd-pleasing appetizer!
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined*
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1–1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, for approximately 4 minutes, or until shrimp have just turned pink and are opaque.
- Drain off juices (if any) and transfer to a plate to cool.
- Chop shrimp into about 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together chopped shrimp, cream cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt and Old Bay Seasoning using a rubber spatula until well-combined.
- Transfer cheese mixture to a plate and form into a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until firm. Remove from refrigerator and coat with chopped pecans 10 minutes before serving (allowing time to slightly soften so it spreads easier).
- Serve with crackers.
- *If using pre-cooked shrimp, use 2-1/4 cups chopped shrimp.
- To make ahead: Prepare as instructed (do not coat with chopped pecans). Store in an airtight container (or cover in plastic wrap, then place in a resealable plastic bag) in the fridge for up to 3 days. Remove from the fridge and coat with chopped pecans about 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep time includes time for cooked shrimp to cool and refrigeration time of 1 hour for cheese ball to firm.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shrimp cheese ball, cream cheese shrimp ball