This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Father’s Day is approaching and I can’t think of any better breakfast for dads out there than this hearty Overnight Southwestern Breakfast Casserole!
Sign up for my email subscription and never miss a recipe!
This is actually one of my very first recipes from the archives that I wanted to resurrect because it’s one of my very favorite breakfast casseroles. It’s full of sausage, eggs, cheese, bread, mushrooms, onions and green peppers… you can also add seeded diced tomatoes or just about any other veggie you want.
I used cubed french bread but any cubed white bread will do. You’ll need to refrigerate this casserole (to let the egg mixture soak into the bread) for at least 2 hours, but I’ve refrigerated it up to 16 hours before and it turned out perfect.
This casserole is baked uncovered, but if it begins to brown too quickly simply cover it with aluminum foil during baking.
I’ve served this casserole on so many occasions (New Years, Christmas, family gatherings) and it has always been a hit!
Happy bakin’! xoxoPrint
- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups cubed white bread
- Grease or spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet over moderate high heat, brown sausage until it’s no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Crumble sausage with a wooden spoon or spatula while cooking. Drain off grease and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper until combined. Stir in onions, peppers, mushrooms, cheeses and parsley until combined.
- Gently stir in bread cubes, coating well with egg mixture.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove casserole from refrigerator, uncover and let sit for 20-30 minutes before baking in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F.
- Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, or until center is firm. If casserole begins to brown too quickly while baking, cover with aluminum foil.