- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- 7 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups cubed white bread
- Grease or spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet over moderate high heat, brown sausage until it’s no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Crumble sausage with a wooden spoon or spatula while cooking. Drain off grease and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper until combined. Stir in onions, peppers, mushrooms, cheeses and parsley until combined.
- Gently stir in bread cubes, coating well with egg mixture.
- Spoon into prepared casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove casserole from refrigerator, uncover and let sit for 20-30 minutes before baking in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F.
- Bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes, or until center is firm. If casserole begins to brown too quickly while baking, cover with aluminum foil.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: southwestern breakfast casserole