Classic comfort food is made simple in this Ground Beef Stroganoff with fresh sliced mushrooms in a delicious sauce. It’s prepared with simple ingredients and in ONE POT for easy cleanup. It’s a quick and easy dinner for busy weeknights that the whole family will love!
This one-pot wonder is one of the easiest pasta dishes you’ll ever make. It’s a simpler version of traditional beef stroganoff – the noodles are cooked right in the pot with the ground beef and the delicious sauce.
- Ground beef – Lean ground beef is best in this recipe.
- Beef broth – I use low sodium so that I have more control over the saltiness of the dish.
- Wide egg noodles – You’ll need 8 ounces which is approximately 5 cups of noodles.
- Flour – All-purpose
- Mushrooms – I buy the sliced packaged mushrooms to save time in this recipe. I use standard white mushrooms, but cremini are delicious as well!
- Salt and black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sour cream
How to Prepare
Following is a very brief overview on how to prepare. Please see the recipe card at the bottom for full detailed instructions.
- Cook ground beef, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven or large pot. Drain off fat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add flour and stir to combine.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Add egg noodles and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until noodles are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
Once cooled, store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Swap the ground beef with ground turkey.
- Add heat by adding crushed red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt more or less, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper more or less, to taste
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles approximately 5 cups
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley optional garnish
- Cook ground beef, onion, and garlic in a 6-quart Dutch oven or large pot until beef is cooked, browned, and no longer pink (about 5 to 6 minutes). Crumble beef with a wooden spoon while cooking. Drain off fat.
- Lower to medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, stirring frequently (about 5 to 6 minutes).
- Add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well in-between each tablespoon.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add egg noodles and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until noodles are tender and liquid is absorbed. *Remove lid and stir occasionally to prevent noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pot (I stirred 5 times). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a gentle boil/strong simmer.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream. Stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley when serving, if desired.
- This recipe yields approximately 11 cups.
- Once cooled, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published November 2018. Updated with new images and new text March 2023.