A hearty vegetarian quiche chock full of kale, roasted red peppers, mushrooms and onions!
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 3 cups tightly packed roughly chopped kale (rinsed, cleaned and large stems removed)
- 1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well (about 3/4 cup drained)
- 1 (4.5-ounce drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained well
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking until onions are soft and translucent, stirring frequently (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add chopped kale, roasted red peppers and mushrooms. Stir and saute until the kale is wilted (about 3-4 minutes). Set aside kale mixture.
- Spray a 9-inch pie or tart dish with cooking spray. Carefully unroll pie crust and place in dish, pressing bottom and sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and desired amount of pepper until blended.
- Place kale mixture in bottom of pie crust first, then sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese and vegetables.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until center is firm and toothpick inserted comes out clean.