This moist and flavorful Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with a sweet and tangy lemon glaze is a perfect breakfast, brunch, dessert, or snack. This easy quick bread is a delicious treat that requires just 15 minutes of prep time.
This bread is perfect for any occasion and is prepared with simple ingredients you most likely already have on-hand.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Ingredients
For the Bread:
- Flour – All-purpose
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Poppy seeds
- Granulated white sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Whole milk
- Sour cream
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
Let’s Make a Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf!
Following is a very brief overview of how to prepare. Please see the recipe card for complete instructions.
- Whisk together the dry bread ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and lemon zest. Stir to combine, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center is removed clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. While the bread is cooling, prepare the glaze by stirring together the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.
- Once the loaf has cooled, carefully remove from the loaf pan, place on a platter and drizzle the glaze over the top.
Storage and Freezing
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Once cooled, wrap the unglazed loaf or slices tightly in plastic wrap. Place in a resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
For the bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 ¼ cups granulated white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil, eggs, milk, sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir until combined (do not over-mix).
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread is removed clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare the glaze by stirring together the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and combined. Drizzle bread with glaze.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.