This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This soothing and comforting Hot Toddy is so easy to make with simple ingredients. It’s a cozy cocktail for cold winter nights!
A quick and easy cocktail, the classic hot toddy is believed to help ease the symptoms of a cold (it’s amazingly delicious as well!). Although there is no cure for the common cold, this toddy sure has seemed to help ease my cold and flu symptoms over the years!
What’s In a Hot Toddy
- Whiskey – You can also substitute brandy, dark rum or spiced rum.
- Tea – I prefer herbal tea, but any tea will work.
- Honey – Maple syrup or agave syrup can also be substituted. A helpful tip when measuring honey (or any sticky liquid) is to spray your measuring spoon with cooking spray (it will pour out easier).
- Lemon juice – I use fresh squeezed lemon juice, but bottled will work as well.
- Spices (optional) – Cinnamon sticks, star anise and/or clove-studded lemon wheels
How to Make It:
- First, you’ll need to boil water for the tea in a small saucepan. Place 2 tea bags in the boiling water and remove from heat. Cover and steep for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the tea into a mug, then pour in honey, lemon juice and whiskey.
- Give it a good stir and add cinnamon sticks, star anise or a clove-studded lemon wheel, if desired.
While the tea is steeping, I stud a lemon wheel with cloves for a hint of spice and added citrus. It’s not required, but is such a beautiful presentation!
How to Stud a Lemon Wheel with Cloves
Use a skewer, toothpick, or even a knitting needle to pierce the lemon wheel. Be sure to slice the lemon wheels about 1/3-inch thick so you’ll have enough room for the clove to be inserted. If using a wooden skewer or a toothpick, make sure that it doesn’t splinter in the lemon.
How Many Servings Does This Recipe Yield?
This recipe makes approximately 18 ounces – enough for two small mugs or one big mug.
More Hot Cocktails You’ll LovePrint
This soothing and comforting Hot Toddy is so easy to make with simple, everyday ingredients.
- 1–3/4 cups boiling water
- 2 herbal tea bags
- 3 tablespoons honey (more or less, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- Optional: Cinnamon sticks, star anise and/or lemon wheels studded with cloves for garnish
- Boil water in a small saucepan. Place tea bags in boiling water, remove from heat and cover to steep for approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour tea into mug. Pour in honey, lemon juice and whiskey. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, star anise and/or lemon wedges studded with cloves, if desired.
- Brandy, dark rum or spiced rum can be substituted for whiskey.
- Maple syrup or agave syrup can be substituted for honey.
- Category: Cocktail
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot toddy recipe, hot toddy tea
Originally published October 2012. Updated and republished on January 19, 2020 with new photographs, helpful tips and recipe slightly revised.