This Hot Buttered Rum is a comforting hot cocktail prepared with simple everyday ingredients.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Who doesn’t love the taste of smooth, comforting and creamy buttered rum?! This is an easy cocktail recipe I’ve been making for years during the holidays and cold winter months.
I first published this recipe in January 2014 and I’m bringing it back with new photographs, because it’s JUST THAT GOOD.
A lot of recipes I’ve seen for hot buttered rum call for ice cream or hot water. I use whole milk because I don’t normally keep ice cream in my freezer during cold winter months (and milk still gives it a creamy delicious flavor!).
Your Simple Ingredients
- Brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Dark rum
- Whole milk
- Optional garnishes: cinnamon stick and star anise
You can make it even spicier by using spiced rum if you desire, and/or even creamier by topping with whipped cream.
Cheers to the holidays and please drink responsibly. Enjoy!Print
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 shot (1.5 ounces) dark rum
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk, heated
- In a coffee mug, stir butter, brown sugar and powdered sugar until combined.
- Add hot milk, rum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well to combine. Garnish with cinnamon stick and/or star anise.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
- Category: Cocktails
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot buttered rum
Originally published January 23, 2014 and updated December 23, 2018.