This Hot Buttered Rum is a comforting hot cocktail prepared with simple everyday ingredients.
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Who doesn’t love the taste of smooth, comforting and creamy buttered rum?! This is an easy cocktail recipe I’ve been making for years during the holidays and cold winter months.
Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
I first published this recipe in January 2014 and I’m bringing it back with new photographs, because it’s JUST THAT GOOD.
A lot of recipes I’ve seen for hot buttered rum call for ice cream or hot water. I use whole milk because I don’t normally keep ice cream in my freezer during cold winter months (and milk still gives it a creamy delicious flavor!).
What ingredients do I need to make Hot Buttered Rum?
You probably have all of the ingredients needed to make this cocktail!
- Brown sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Dark rum
- Whole milk
- Optional garnishes: cinnamon stick and star anise
You can make it even spicier by using spiced rum if you desire, and/or even creamier by topping with whipped cream.
Cheers to the holidays and please drink responsibly. Enjoy!
Originally published January 23, 2014 and updated December 23, 2018.Print
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 shot (1.5 ounces) dark rum
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup hot whole milk
- In a coffee mug, stir butter, brown sugar and powdered sugar until combined.
- Add hot milk, rum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well to combine. Garnish with cinnamon stick and/or star anise.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com