This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This Hamburger Steak and Gravy is a hearty and comforting dinner that is quick, easy and delicious… it’s on the table in less than 40 minutes from start to finish!
Seasoned tender hamburger patties smothered in gravy and mushrooms is comfort food at its finest. Not only is it easy to make, it’s budget friendly too. Serve it with rice or mashed potatoes (and a veggie) for a dinner the whole family will love!
Tips for Cooking Hamburger Steak
- Don’t overwork the hamburger mixture – This results in moister, tender patties (overworking will cause your patties to be tough). Gently mix just until combined.
- Use 80/20 ground beef chuck – Using 80% lean, 20% fat ground beef is best in this recipe. You’ll have juicy patties, and the fat that is rendered is also needed to flavor the gravy.
Can I Make This Recipe Without Mushrooms and/or Onions?
Yes, you can! Simply omit the mushrooms and/or onions.
Hamburger Steak smothered in gravy with mushrooms and onions is a hearty and comforting dinner that is quick and easy to make!
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1–1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Mix together the beef, egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and Worcershire sauce just until combined (do not over-mix). Shape into 4 (1/4 pound) patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and cook until browned on each side (approximately 3-4 minutes each side).
- Place patties on a plate and set aside (leave drippings in skillet).
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms onions. Stir well while scraping bits of beef off of bottom and sides of pan.
- Slowly add beef broth and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Return patties to skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until patties are fully cooked.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
*For gravy with a thinner consistency, use 3 tablespoons flour.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hamburger steak with onions and gravy, hamburger steak and gravy recipe