This easy Instant Pot Italian Pot Roast with tomatoes, onion and gravy is the ultimate comfort food!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
This pot roast is juicy, fork-tender and exploding with flavor. If you think it takes forever to prepare the most tender and juicy pot roast… think again! This recipe requires just 20 minutes of prep time (which includes searing time) and your pressure cooker pretty much does the rest.
I sliced my onion into wedges so they would not fall apart during cooking. The first time I tested this recipe, I sliced my onion about 1/4-inch thick and it looked like there wasn’t much left of them after cooking (although the flavor was there, I still like to bite into the onion!).
How to make Instant Pot Pot Roast Gravy
It’s incredibly easy to make savory and flavorful gravy for this roast. You’ll start by transferring the beef, tomatoes and onions from the pressure cooker to a serving platter. Allow the fat to rise in the liquid and skim off the fat. Set your Instant Pot to sauté and bring the liquid to a boil. Pour in a cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
I love it served over hot rice, but it’s also delicious with mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
More Instant Pot recipes you might enjoy:Print
Juicy and fork-tender beef with tomatoes, onion, herbs, seasonings and gravy is the ultimate comfort food. Ready in a fraction of the time than baking!
- 1–1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1–1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (I used Cabernet)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pat dry roast with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Rub seasoning mixture over entire roast.
- Pour olive oil into insert of your Instant Pot and set to sauté. When oil is heated, using tongs, sear roast on all sides until browned (approximately 3 minutes each side). Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over roast. Pour in beef broth, wine, tomatoes and juices. Add onion and bay leaf.
- Place the lid on pressure cooker and lock. Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”. Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 60 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully transfer beef, tomatoes and onions to a serving platter (use a large slotted spoon for tomatoes and onions) and cover loosely with foil. Remove and discard bay leaf. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Allow fat to rise in liquid, then skim off the fat.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Prepare cornstarch slurry by whisking together cornstarch and water in a small bowl or large measuring cup. When the liquid reaches a boil, pour in cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened (about 2 minutes). Turn off Instant Pot. Season gravy with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve roast over rice (if desired) topped with gravy.
- Beef broth can be doubled to substitute for red wine.
- Altitude can affect pressure cooking times. This recipe was tested using an Instant Pot LUX80 8-quart at approximately 10 feet above sea level. Here is a helpful article regarding adjustments for pressure cooking times at different altitudes.
- Cook time includes the time it took my pot to come to pressure (10 minutes) and natural pressure release time.