One of my all-time favorite soups is French Onion Soup. It’s hot, cheesy, salty and deliciously sweet. So when I recently came across a recipe for this French Onion Toast, I was all-in!
I always enjoy recipes that don’t take a lot of time, along with being able to utilize ingredients that I have on hand in my kitchen. I was lounging one night reading my Southern Living Ultimate Quick & Easy Cookbook and came across this recipe.
What makes this recipe even better is that it’s prepared in about 20 minutes flat. YES!
Probably the hardest part of the entire process was thinly slicing a large onion… I could have broken out my food processor but I just didn’t want to mess with the clean up of all the parts. And it wasn’t that cumbersome… about 3 minutes and teary eyes. Not bad.
Then I cooked the onions in melted butter with some fresh minced garlic, thyme and Worcestershire sauce… and placed the onions on toasted french bread (or regular loaf bread, it doesn’t matter!)
All that’s left is to sprinkle with shredded Swiss cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
This is probably the best “toast” I’ve ever had!Print
- 8 slices French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, very thinly sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and leave bread slices on baking sheet.
- While the bread is toasting, melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently. Add brown sugar, minced garlic, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are browned and tender.
- Evenly spread onions over toasted bread slices and evenly top with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Broil on high for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Adapted from Southern Living Ultimate Quick & Easy Cookbook
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Broil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: french onion toast