- 8 slices French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, very thinly sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and leave bread slices on baking sheet.
- While the bread is toasting, melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently. Add brown sugar, minced garlic, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are browned and tender.
- Evenly spread onions over toasted bread slices and evenly top with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Broil on high for about 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Adapted from Southern Living Ultimate Quick & Easy Cookbook
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Broil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: french onion toast