A quick, easy and satisfying tomato soup that is prepared in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion (1 jumbo onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional toppings: grated Parmesan cheese, fresh basil and/or croutons
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), continuing to stir.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well to combine. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Purée to desired consistency with an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender place soup in small batches in a blender or food processor (exercise caution while blending hot liquids – blend small amounts at a time and hold down the top of blender pitcher or food processor while blending because there is a risk of the top blowing off and hot liquids to blow out!).
- Top with desired toppings.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy tomato soup