This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Packed with nutrients from fresh kale, this Kale, Chicken and White Bean Soup is such a healthy and comforting cold weather soup!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I totally needed this soup today, you guys. If you’ve followed the blog for a while, you know I rescued a senior boxer dog, “Baby” back in August 2015. She has literally been a Godsend to me and is my best friend and companion while working from home alone during the week. One day late last October she starting having trouble with her eye.
Long story short, it hasn’t gotten any better. I had to take her back to the vet today, and if it isn’t any better by next week she has to have surgery for an ulcer.
I just can’t imagine the thought of her going through it at an older age, but have complete confidence in her vet.
So when we got back home from the vet late this afternoon, I had part of a leftover grocery store rotisserie chicken sitting in my fridge along with some fresh kale I was planning to do something with. I seriously needed some (healthy) comfort food and was able to throw together this soup in right under 30 minutes. YESSSSS!
This soup is completely packed FULL of flavor and is so easy to prepare. I love recycling leftover chicken and those store-bought rotisserie chickens are the BOMB if you’re always busy and on the go (who isn’t?!).
Hooray for grocery store rotisserie chicken!Print
A healthy and comforting cold weather soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1-1/3 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and roughly chopped into about 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups fully cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Optional: Shredded Parmesan cheese for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add garlic, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, water, kale, chicken and thyme. Stir well to combine. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Inspired by Real Simple