This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
So hearty, flavorful and comforting… this Easy Stove Top Chili is ready in less than an hour!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Easy Stove Top Chili
Serve it up with cornbread and your favorite toppings for the ultimate cold weather comfort food!
This past weekend was one of those frigid cold, rainy, gray weekends (was I descriptive enough?). Just BLAH. You know… the kind of weekend where you just want to stay in your pajamas, watch Netflix and cook a big pot of chili???
There’s just something so comforting about smelling a pot of chili simmering on the stove. I could have made my Instant Pot Chili, but I wanted to smell it simmering a little longer because I was in no hurry (thank goodness for those kind of days!).
This chili is just as delicious going solo without any toppings. It has just enough of a “kick” for my taste buds without being overly spicy or hot, but feel free to adjust the seasonings to your personal preference.
There are no pre-made spice packets in this recipe – but it’s incredibly EASY to make your own chili seasoning. You probably already have all of the spices!
- 1–1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (32-ounce) container beef broth (4 cups)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juices
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Your favorite toppings
- Brown ground beef in a medium dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, crumbling beef with a wooden spoon while it is cooking. Place beef in a colander to drain grease and set aside.
- Return dutch oven or pot to burner and add olive oil. Once olive oil is heated, add green pepper, onion and garlic. Saute until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add drained beef, beef broth, tomatoes in juices, tomato paste, spices, bay leaves and beans. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: easy stove top chili, easy chili recipe, homemade chili, best chili recipe, stove top chili