- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (32-ounce) container beef broth (4 cups)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juices
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Your favorite toppings
- Brown ground beef in a medium dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat, crumbling beef with a wooden spoon while it is cooking. Place beef in a colander to drain grease and set aside.
- Return dutch oven or pot to burner and add olive oil. Once olive oil is heated, add green pepper, onion and garlic. Saute until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add drained beef, beef broth, tomatoes in juices, tomato paste, spices, bay leaves and beans. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Top with desired toppings.