This sweet, tart and velvety lemon curd is SO EASY to prepare by utilizing the convenience of your microwave. Just four ingredients are needed!
Skip the store-bought and make your own lemon curd from scratch – you’ll be glad you did! There are so many ways to enjoy it. I’ll be honest and admit that I love eating it straight out of the fridge with a spoon… it’s like a burst of sunshine!
Your Simple Ingredients
- Lemons – you’ll need enough lemons to yield 1 cup of juice and 3 tablespoons of zest. I typically use 4 to 5 medium lemons in this recipe.
- Eggs – you’ll need 3 large eggs (you’ll use yolks and whites).
- Granulated sugar
- Butter – melted
How to Make It
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and melted butter and whisk to combine.
- Cook in your microwave on high power in 1 minute intervals, stirring to combine well after each minute until mixture is thick (about 5 to 7 minutes). The time needed to thicken will depend upon the power of your microwave.
- This step is totally optional, but to have perfectly velvety smooth lemon curd, I recommend straining it through a fine mesh strainer. It only takes a couple of minutes!
- Allow the to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. The curd will thicken as it cools.
Zest the lemons before you juice them! It’s a challenge to zest lemons that have already been juiced. I love using this microplane zester/grater.
Ways to Enjoy Lemon Curd
- Spread on muffins, toast, pancakes or waffles.
- Use it as a filling – I love it in these easy doughnut holes!
- It’s a delicious topping on ice cream!
Microwave Lemon Curd
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest from approximately 3 medium lemons
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from approximately 4 medium lemons
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted 1 stick
- In a large microwave safe bowl, whisk sugar and eggs well. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and melted butter. Whisk until well combined.
- Cook in your microwave (high power) in 1 minute intervals, carefully stirring after each minute. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until thickened enough to coat the back of a metal spoon (time will depend upon the power of your microwave).
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps (this is optional).
- Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate.
- Zest lemons before juicing!
- Yields approximately 2 cups.
- Lemon curd will not be as thick as finished recipe while hot. Cooling and refrigerating will thicken curd.
If provided, nutritional info is a courtesy, is not guaranteed and should only be considered as a guideline.
Originally published April 2013. Updated with new photos and new text July 2021.