Using frozen spinach slashes time in this Easy Creamed Spinach recipe… it’s a perfect side dish for just about any main course!
Tender spinach in a velvety, cheesy cream sauce is always a welcomed side dish. I’m making it to bring to my parent’s annual Christmas Eve dinner (to be served with prime rib). It’s also delicious with pork, chicken and fish.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
Yes! This recipe can easily be made a day ahead of time and served the next day. Allow to cool and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat in a large skillet over low heat until warmed, stirring often.
How Many People Does This Serve?
This recipe yields approximately 2-1/2 cups (4 servings that are a little over 1/2 cup each) and is easily doubled. The photographs shown are the recipe doubled.
Tender spinach in a velvety, cheesy cream sauce is always a welcomed side dish!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1–1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly (about 30 seconds).
- Add heavy cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together milk and flour. Pour into mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Add spinach and stir well to combine. Cook (stirring frequently) until spinach is heated, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a large skillet over low heat (stirring frequently) until warmed through.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamed spinach frozen, easy creamed spinach recipe