This easy, moist and delicious Bacardi Rum Cake prepared with a boxed cake mix and topped with a butter rum glaze is a classic holiday dessert!
If you’ve never had the privilege of tasting (or baking) this cake, don’t let the boxed cake mix fool you. It’s one of the most delicious cakes I’ve ever eaten, and I make it for many occasions… not just the holidays!
Serving and garnishing this cake with maraschino cherries and seedless green grapes makes a beautiful presentation, and the fruit complements the cake perfectly. However, this cake is quite beautiful and delicious on its own.
How to Store This Bacardi Rum Cake
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can This Cake Be Frozen?
Yes! Wrap securely in plastic wrap, then wrap in aluminum foil (or place in a resealable plastic bag) and freeze for up to 3 months. Place in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
For a tropical variation on this cake, be sure to check out my Tropical Rum Cake. Enjoy!Print
This easy, moist and delicious rum cake prepared with a boxed cake mix and topped with a butter rum glaze is a classic holiday dessert!
For the Cake:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box butter golden cake mix
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum
- Maraschino cherries and seedless green grapes, for serving and garnish (optional)
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan (with at least a 12-cup capacity) with cooking spray (or grease and flour pan).
- Evenly sprinkle pecans in bottom of pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, vegetable oil and rum with a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour batter over pecans.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted is removed clean. Place on a baking rack to cool.
- Prepare the glaze while cake is cooling. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and water and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and slowly add rum (exercise caution when adding rum, mixture will bubble). Stir to combine.
- Once cake has cooled, invert onto a serving plate. Using a skewer or toothpick, pierce holes throughout the cake. Drizzle glaze over tops and sides of cake, allowing it to absorb the glaze.
- Serve and garnish with maraschino cherries and/or grapes, if desired.
- Nutrition info does not include fruit.
- Cook time includes time to prepare glaze.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To freeze, wrap securely in plastic wrap, then wrap in aluminum foil (or place in a resealable plastic bag) and freeze for up to 3 months. Place in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: rum cake recipe, bacardi rum cake
Originally published December 16, 2011. Updated with photographs, recipe slightly revised and republished on October 29, 2019.