This simple and delicious Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce is an easy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
Not only is this recipe incredibly flavorful and comforting, it’s ready in just 25 minutes. Serve it with a garden salad and garlic bread for a complete satisfying meal. It’s also delicious over your favorite pasta.
This dish was inspired by my Shrimp in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce (have you tried it??). I still have an abundance of fresh basil growing (along with chicken breasts I needed to cook) and this did not disappoint.
Helpful Tip for Slicing Chicken
This recipe calls for two large boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise. I place my thawed chicken in the freezer for about 30 minutes before slicing. It firms the chicken up a little and makes slicing so much easier!
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes You’ll LovePrint
Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
An easy and comforting chicken dinner in just 25 minutes!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1–½ pounds), sliced in half lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup loosely packed chopped or julienned basil
- Season sliced chicken breasts on each side with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, cooked through and no longer pink (about 4 minutes on each side depending upon thickness).
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. In the same skillet, add garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly (about 30 seconds).
- Add heavy cream and diced tomatoes with juices, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until slightly thickened (stirring frequently).
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in fresh basil. Season cream sauce with salt and pepper, if desired. Return chicken to skillet. Serve over your favorite pasta, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken in tomato cream sauce, easy cream sauce for chicken
This dish was excellent! My family loved it! I didn’t have any diced tomatoes, so I used four medium tomatoes. I chopped them and cooked them down with the garlic after I removed the chicken and before I added the cream. I also used fresh oregano, thyme, basil, and parsley. Delicious. This will go in the regular rotation! Thank you!