This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Classic comfort food is made simple in this Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie. Using a few easy shortcuts, it’s on the table in less than an hour!
By utilizing the convenience of leftover cooked shredded chicken (or a store-bought rotisserie chicken), canned biscuits, prepared chicken gravy and frozen mixed vegetables this pot pie is practically effortless!
What You’ll Need
How to Make It
First you’ll need to combine the gravy and veggies in a pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the shredded cheese, chicken and seasonings, while stirring until the cheese is completely melted and smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are vigorously bubbling. Carefully remove from the oven and arrange the biscuits (that have been cut into quarters) on top.
Return to the oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until the biscuits are browned and fully cooked.
- Heating the mixture until the cheese is melted and smooth before transferring to the baking dish is essential in this recipe. During my recipe testing, I tried taking an extra shortcut and combined the ingredients in a large bowl (instead of heating on the stove top) before transferring to the baking dish. The outcome was that the mixture was not smooth and the cheese wasn’t melted uniformly after baking. Do not skip this step!
- Ensure that the edges of the mixture are vigorously bubbling before you remove from the oven to add the biscuits on top. It needs to be hot enough so that the biscuits fully cook on the bottoms as well as the tops.
- Use small canned biscuits (not the large “grands”) in this recipe.
Watch How to Make It
Classic comfort food is made simple in this EASY Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie using canned biscuits and a few other shortcuts!
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chicken gravy
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 3 cups fully cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (12 ounce) tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, cut into quarters*
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, stir together the gravy and vegetables over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, chicken, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir well to combine and continue to stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges of mixture are vigorously bubbling.
- Carefully remove from oven and arrange quartered biscuits on top of the mixture. Return to oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown and fully cooked.
- *Use small biscuits (not the large “grands”)
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy chicken pot pie, easy chicken pot pie with biscuits