A hearty and comforting soup perfect for New Years Day!
- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups baby carrots (or peeled and sliced carrots)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (RO*TEL – undrained)
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups tightly packed baby spinach
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, brown sausage with onions and carrots over medium high heat until sausage is browned and no longer pink (about 5 to 6 minutes), stirring constantly (crumble sausage while cooking). Drain off any fat from sausage.
- Add garlic, thyme, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and RO*TEL. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas and spinach and stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 3 to 4 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black eyed pea and sausage soup