Skip the takeout and make this budget-friendly and flavor-packed Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein. It’s on the table in under 30 minutes!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
It doesn’t get much easier than this when it comes to getting dinner on the table in a hurry. This lo mein also re-heats well for leftovers… a win-win situation!
If you begin heating the water for the noodles as soon as you start the prep work, they should be done right around the same time as the beef and broccoli mixture.
I use whole grain spaghetti noodles because most times I can’t find lo mein noodles at my local grocery store. You can use regular spaghetti noodles as well, but the whole grain noodles have a firmer texture that is similar to lo mein noodles.
Helpful hint for slicing the beef:
Place thawed beef in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before slicing so it will firm up a bit… this makes it so much easier to slice!
Hooray for quick and easy meals that everyone loves!Print
Skip the takeout and make this budget-friendly lo mein with tender beef, broccoli, red peppers, carrots and noodles in a sweet, flavorful sauce.
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
For the Lo Mein:
- 8 ounces lo mein or spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain into strips
- Salt and pepper
- 2-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (if desired)
- Begin cooking noodles according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, pour sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Season beef strips with desired amounts of salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef strips and cook 6-7 minutes (stirring frequently), or until done and no longer pink. Remove beef from skillet with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Add broccoli, carrots and red peppers to the same skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes (stirring frequently), or until tender.
- Return cooked beef to skillet. Stir in noodles and sauce to evenly coat. Cook, stirring frequently, until hot (about 2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.