Skip the takeout and make this budget-friendly lo mein with tender beef, broccoli, red peppers, carrots and noodles in a sweet, flavorful sauce.
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
For the Lo Mein:
- 8 ounces lo mein or spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain into strips
- Salt and pepper
- 2–1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (if desired)
- Begin cooking noodles according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, pour sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Season beef strips with desired amounts of salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef strips and cook 6-7 minutes (stirring frequently), or until done and no longer pink. Remove beef from skillet with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Add broccoli, carrots and red peppers to the same skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes (stirring frequently), or until tender.
- Return cooked beef to skillet. Stir in noodles and sauce to evenly coat. Cook, stirring frequently, until hot (about 2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: beef and broccoli lo mein, beef and broccoli lo mein recipe