I could just go on and on about my love for shrimp… but instead I’ll share with you one of my favorite shrimp recipes: Shrimp and Broccoli Lo Mein!
Sign up for my free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
The last time I posted a shrimp recipe I told you I sat in the garage and bagged what felt like a ton of shrimp to freeze and enjoy throughout the winter. It literally took me about 4 hours but sooooo worth it! 🙂
So I have to be honest here and say this isn’t authentic “lo mein”. Because I really dislike having to hunt down special ingredients at specialty stores. Because, really… who has the freakin’ time to do all that? 😮 The ethnic section of my local grocery store doesn’t carry it, so I just use whole grain spaghetti noodles.
You can use regular spaghetti noodles as well, but the whole grain noodles have a firmer texture that is similar to lo mein noodles.
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Lo Mein:
- 8 ounces lo mein or whole grain spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2–1/2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (about 2 cups sliced)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Begin cooking noodles according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook 3-4 minutes, or until pink on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Add broccoli, carrots and red peppers to the same skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until tender.
- Return cooked shrimp to pan. Stir in noodles and sauce to evenly coat. Cook, stirring frequently, until hot (about 2 minutes).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.