We love fresh veggies around here, salads especially. But after a while, I just want something green and different while still being healthy (but not too difficult to prepare). Here’s where these delicious Veggie Stuffed Zucchini Boats come into play!
They’re stuffed with fresh basil, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, pulp from the zucchini, cheese and crushed buttery crackers.
Scraping out the pulp from the zucchini is fun to me… it might even be something your kids enjoy helping you with in the kitchen!
I’ve found that they also reheat well the next day. We’re having these little veggie boats with grilled Italian turkey sausage links tonight – a perfect breakaway from the salads we’ve been eating for the past week. Enjoy!Print
- 4 medium zucchini
- 20 buttery crackers (such as Ritz), crushed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash zucchini and slice off each end. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and scrape out pulp using a spoon. Coarsely chop the pulp and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Place zucchini shells on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the zucchini are baking, add basil, garlic, red onion, chopped tomato, half of the mozzarella cheese, and crushed crackers to the chopped zucchini pulp. Stir well to combine.
- Stuff each zucchini boat with the mixture, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted.
Adapted from KraftRecipes.com
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetable stuffed zucchini boats